Sunday, October 13, 2013

So like I said, when you know, you know

Now, despite the confidence we had that this was it, others... were not so convinced.

Many people told me to slow down and I could almost hear them rolling their eyes as I told them that we just knew.

But we did. And saying that almost 8 years later, I think it's fair to say we did.

So I sat by this guy at work. And he was convinced that I was rushing and that dating should be a slow process.

After time passed, I know he came to give my theory a little more credit. 

But still... he would dateand they would go slow, often only seeing each other 2-4 times a month. It was always something. 

Both were busy, but I insisted, each time that was not the girl. 

And, well I think it's fair to see where someone would struggle with this idea. If you had never experienced it, how could you really.

Over time I think he slowly starts to give up a little.

Then, finally... He met her.

They met online, had talked for hours and finally had arranged to meet Friday after work. 

Now, I had shared some of my stories over the years, so I think he was a little nervous to say the least. 

To allow for a brief meeting, just in case it was disastrous... He did it before his game. So it allowed them only 30 minutes. And he HAD to go. After all, it was finals so he could not miss it.

So, Monday morning (he now worked in a different building so often our chatting was over IM) I get an IM. 

"You were right"

I knew what he meant. I replied... 

"What's her name.. And tell me everything!"

So the short version was that this 30 minutes, was enough. They made plans to spend the day together on Sunday. Note it said "the day" vs a date. He had a game later and team party after. Saturday  she was IN a wedding. So that meant, hair, makeup even before the wedding and reception. Any girl that has been in a wedding knows this is an all day event.

So as I am expecting the story at this point to forward to Sunday... He tells me, that she texted him at 11:30 Saturday night, she had left the wedding and asked if he was still up. She then askedif she could come see him. She could not wait till tomorrow... Which  was just a few hours at this point. 

So, she went to his house..... 

At this point, I knew. That was the moment that confirmed that this was it! 

And they did not part till they had to go to work Monday.  

They were engaged 4 months later... 

And... They just celebrated their 1 year anniversary!


So the thing I tell everyone. You WILL know. I can not explain the feeling. It's not just the butterflies. It's a confidence that this is that one.

For me, and I think a lot of girls especially wonder "will he call me".  And let's be honest, even if they say they will, many times they don't.

But I know for me, waiting and wondering "if" was always an issue. 

And those that didn't call, it was usually a couple days of wondering and jumping everytime the phone rang. 

Now for me, when we first parted, was like with my co -worker, Monday morning. 

Now texting is so common. 

And after being apart only an hour, I texted him "miss you already". 

Now I think most guys, a text like that... Essentially 2 days after you met, would freak them out. And you would likely never see them again.

And honestly, I was very good at the game at this point, and any other guy, would NEVER have sent that text. 

The entire day went by.. By the time I left work at 5pm, he had not responded... 

Now, despite hours and hours.. And no reply... What really convinced me that this really was different..... 

I never worried that the text freaked him out. Or that he simply was not interested. In fact, the first thought I had when I he didn't immediately reply.... Was that he must have left his phone at home.

He gets off at 3pm, 3:15 I had a text. 
 :)

He had left his phone at home, AND, this day had been torture not being able to talk to me. Then.. I want to see you tonite. 


Needless to say he parked in my driveway when I got home. 

I never had a doubt.




No comments:

Post a Comment